NEXT TO NORMAL
Music by Tom Kitt
Book & Lyrics by Brian Yorkey
Directed by Tiffany Schweigert
Musical Direction by Delano Mendoza
OPEN CALL AUDITIONS
Saturday, July 23, 1-4pm and Sunday, July 24, 1-4pm
at Prairie Baptist Church 7416 Roe Ave., Prairie Village, KS
NOTE: If you are not able to make open call auditions, please email the director to set up a video audition. firstname.lastname@example.org
EXPECTATIONS and PREPARATION
Auditions will be an open call and will consist of singing a prepared 32-bar selection of a song in the style of the show or by the composer. Please provide sheet music; no CD's and no a capella auditions. An accompanist will be provided. Please provide a headshot/resume if available.
Invited callbacks will be held on Monday, July 25, from 7-10pm at Prairie Baptist CHurch. Please be prepared to sing songs from the show - sides will be provided. Please make sure to clear your schedule that day, as callbacks are critical to putting together the strongest cast possible. You will be notified by email if you are invided to callbacks.
Rehearsals will begin Sunday, September 18 at Prairie Baptist Church at 75th and Roe. Typical weekly rehearsal schedule will be Sunday 1-5pm & Monday-Thursday 7-10pm. Conflicts with the rehearsals schedule must be kept to an absolute minimum during the rehearsal process. No conflicts will be accepted during dress/tech week.
Friday 10/21 7:30pm
Saturday 10/22 7:30pm
Sunday 10/23 2pm (Mental Health: There Will Be Light talkback to follow)
Monday 10/24 7:30pm
Thursday 10/27 7:30pm
Friday 10/28 7:30pm
Saturday 10/29 7:30pm
Sunday 10/30 2:00pm
All performances take place at the Black Box Theatre at the Johnson County Arts and Heritage Center, Overland Park, KS
Next to Normal, with book and lyrics by Brian Yorkey and music by Tom Kitt, explores how one suburban household copes with crisis and mental illness. Winner of three 2009 Tony Awards, including Best Musical Score and the 2010 Pulitzer Prize, Next to Normal was also chosen as "one of the year's ten best shows" by critics around the country, including The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Rolling Stone and The New York Times.
Dad's an architect; Mom rushes to pack lunches and pour cereal; their daughter and son are bright, wise-cracking teens, appearing to be a typical American family. And yet their lives are anything but normal because the mother has been battling manic depression for 16 years. Next to Normal takes audiences into the minds and hearts of each character, presenting their family's story with love, sympathy and heart.
Next to Normal is an emotional powerhouse that addresses such issues as grieving a loss, ethics in modern psychiatry, and suburban life.
*Strong language and adult themes. Not advised for children under 17.
We strongly encourage auditions for Principal Roles from artists who self-identify as Black, White, Asian, Indigenous, Latino or Multi-Ethnic and we encourage actors to indicate interest in any roles that fit their gender identity at auditions.
Age ranges are not meant to eliminate any performer from consideration for a role, but merely to provide a general guideline for each character.
- Female-identifying. Any ethnicity. Stage age range 40+. Vocal range Mezzo/belter: G3-F#5. Delusional, bipolar, and depressed. The sexiness of her yesterdays has only recently begun to soften. She is determined to make her family perfect but is tortured by a death in the family.
- Female-identifying. Any ethnicity. Stage age range 16-18. Vocal range Mezzo/belter: G3-G5. Diana & Dan's troubled daughter. An accomplished pianist and hardworking student, her struggles are exacerbated by her mother's behavior. She greatly admires Henry.
- Male-identifying. Any ethnicity. Stage age range 40+. Vocal range Bari/Tenor: Ab2-B4. Diana's husband. He is handsome and genuine. Though a constant in Diana's tumultuous life, he has grown tired and weary of her antics.
- Male-identifying. Any ethnicity. Stage age range 16-18. Vocal range Tenor: B2- C5. Diana & Dan's son. Dashing, athletic, and bright. He is a playful man and everything a mother could imagine.
- Male-identifying. Any ethnicity. Stage age range 16-18. Vocal range Tenor: G#2-B4. Natalie's classmate. The all-around musician, philosopher, and slacker. He has an intoxicating capacity for sympathy and romance.
- DR. MADDEN/DR. FINE
- Male-identifying. Any ethnicity. Stage age range 25+. Vocal range Tenor: A2-A4. Diana's handsome psychiatrist. Quite assured in his practice and considered somewhat of a rock star.
For more information, please contact Eric Magnus, Artistic Director of The Barn Players, at email@example.com
The Barn Players welcomes and values all forms of diversity as we strive to better represent the performing arts community in Kansas City. Non-traditional, inclusive and equal-opportunity casting is encouraged.