The Barn Players is committed to the safety of our staff, actors, crew, volunteers and patrons as they participate in and attend our productions during the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to safely begin theater productions, we intend to follow the guidelines These guidelines may change as conditions warrant.
I. Reopening Plan
Jackson County MO COVID-19 guidelines
- a. Follow phase recommendations.
- i. Phase 1: closed
- ii. Phase 2 and 2.5: maximum 50% capacity and 6 ft social distancing.
- iii. Further recommendations as they are developed.
- b. Venue Owner
- i. Obtain approval for building use and their safety plan
- c. Company and Patron Interest
- i. Board of Directors approval once all factors are met.
II. Enhanced Sanitation and Hygiene
- a. Universal measures
- i. In addition to measures taken by the venue owner, The Barn Players production staff for each show will ensure daily cleaning of all spaces utilized during rehearsals or performances. These will include but will not be limited to high touch surfaces in public areas such as door handles and light switches, but also the light and sound boards, props, set pieces and chairs.
- ii. Public bathrooms during rehearsals will be maintained (stocked with supplies provided by the venue owner and cleaned) by the production crew for each show. The Venue Owner will be responsible for stocking and maintaining the bathroom on a weekly basis during the rehearsal process and daily during shows.
- iii. Theater seats will not be utilized by the cast of shows during rehearsals to avoid extra cleaning. The Venue Owner will bring in hard surface chairs for rehearsals to facilitate cleaning by the cast nightly.
- b. Disposable masks and gloves and wipes will be provided by The Barn Players for production crews.
- c. Hand sanitizer in the lobby and outside of the public bathroom shall be provided by the venue owner.
- d. Hand sanitizer for inside the dressing room, pit, props area, our staff/volunteers dealing directly with the public or office will be provided by The Barn Players.
- e. Cast members should provide their own, clearly marked, water bottle. These will be the only food or beverage allowed in the theater or common area.
III. COVID-19 Dress Code Policies
- a. All staff, actors, musicians, crew and patrons will have masks on when inside the venue including during rehearsals except when individual is performing on stage.
- b. The Barn Players will provide disposable masks to actors, crew and patrons without them and will not be let into the facility without one.
IV. Health Screening
- a. All staff, actors, crew and patrons will receive a temperature check at the building entry point. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 F or greater will be denied entry.
V. Contact tracing protocols
- a. A record of all cast, crew and staff present will be kept nightly by each production.
- b. A record of all patrons will be kept by The Barn Players.
- c. In the event of a report of positive COVID-19 infection, all persons documented will be notified of a possible exposure and advised to contact their physician for further guidance.
- d. The Barn Players will notify the Jackson County Health Department of any known exposures and will provide contact lists as requested.
VI. Contactless public experience
- a. The Venue Owner will provide a plexiglass barrier will be placed at the box office.
- b. Interior lobby doors will remain open from the time the box office opens until the scheduled production start time. The Barn Players personnel and volunteers will encourage guests to leave the lobby and find their seats.
- c. The Barn Players staff or volunteer will control the front door to allow contactless entry.
- d. Ticketing will be done on line along with a safety disclaimer whenever possible.
- e. Show programs will be provided digitally when possible. No printed materials will be collected from the audience to be reused.
VII. Reduced capacities and social distancing
- a. The Venue Owner will be responsible for marking off theater seating to ensure appropriate social distancing of 6 feet.
- i. 50% capacity (JCHD guidelines for phase 2 and 2.5) = 82 seats or whatever is mandated by the city at the time.
- ii. Visible signage encouraging social distancing will be provided by the Venue Owner.
- iii. A recorded pre-show announcement, provided by The Barn Players will encourage social distancing and keeping masks on throughout the performance.
- iv. Intermissions will be extended from 15 to 20 minutes to accommodate social distancing.
- v. There will be no food or drink sold in the lobby or allowed in the theater during rehearsals or performances. The only exception are marked water bottles for the cast during rehearsals.
VIII. Onsite and remote staffing
- a. All staff and volunteers are required to watch the Best Practice for COVID-19 Safety training video on the Missouri Arts Council website prior to beginning onsite work at the theater. This video can be accessed at:
- b. All staff and volunteers will wear face masks.
- c. All staff meetings are to be conducted remotely until pandemic has ended.
- d. There should be no guests in the theater unless connected with the show, The Barn Players or the venue owner.
- e. For minors under 18, only one parent may be present during rehearsals but must follow the same safety protocol as the cast and crew.
- f. Physical paperwork should be avoided. All forms are to be made available digitally.
IX. Communication strategies
- a. The Barn Players will communicate in person and in writing, a set of expectations to follow all of the guidelines above to all production staff, actors, crew, and volunteers.
- b. All staff, cast, crew and volunteers will be trained and provided with examples to use for communicating respectfully and professionally to any guest or other visitor who is not in compliance with the guidelines above.